Saturday, April 13, 2013

OUCH! My Left Foot!


Car doors, shovels, and my left foot
are NOT a good combination


If you ever have an altercation with a car door on the same day you have an altercation with a shovel, don't think you can just "walk it off" and that "it's no big deal," and most importantly, do NOT go to a 2 hour dance class 2 days later or you will have issues...very big, bad issues.
Time to wag my finger at myself and say: "Be kind to your body!"
On Tuesday, I really clobbered my foot on the car door...thought nothing of it-figured it was just really bruised and tender...had to take my flip flop off to drive even though my flip flop wasn’t even touching the part I hit...thought nothing of it...
When I got home, I started gardening. I had put on my garden shoes. I had totally forgotten about my foot. I started "turning" my compost. As I was stomping on the shovel, the foot that I had hit with the car door tried to remind me that it had been hurt already and didn’t want to be hurt anymore. I figured, I had hit the top of my foot on the car door, and I was using the bottom of my foot to stomp the shovel, so I couldn’t possibly be doing anything really bad to it, right? I figured it was just bruised, and I sadly pretty much ignored it, and kept on shoveling- but using the other foot to stomp on the shovel.
Well, I shouldn’t have been out there shoveling, digging, pulling, no matter what! I wasn’t listening to my body. I always tell my clients “if your body is sending out pain signals, listen!” Sadly, I wasn’t listening.
But the shovel was paying attention.
And the shovel was gonna try to teach me a lesson.It was about to beat some sense into me about listening to my body.
As I was walking back to my compost pile, with some goodies to throw into it, the shovel decided to fall over-ON MY FOOT! L OUCH!!! By the time I had finished up with the compost, the foot was REALLY painful…
Later that night, I couldn’t wear any shoes, so I shuffled around in socks and was kinda ok, until I realized that my gait was super wonky and my foot was kinda dragging. I took a closer look. No bruising, no swelling, nothing. So I just typed my paper and went to bed.
The next morning when I got up to get ready for school, my foot was not cooperating.
(In hind sight, I wasn’t cooperating! My foot was doing its best to do what I asked. But it was in pain, begging for some kindness and understanding. But I wasn’t listening to it! Dear Left Foot, I am sorry. L )
I put on a pair of shoes, thinking I should probably wear something more substantial other than my flip flops. The shoes were not a “hit” with my foot. I should have at least listened to my best judgment (since I was not listening to my body) and not put the shoes.  I should have stuck with my (and my feet’s) preferred footwear-flip flops or my “super-sexy” TEVA sandals and socks.   
As I walked to my car, and during my entire hour and fifteen minute drive, my foot was really uncomfortable. The top of my foot was really tender. I even took off my shoe half way through the drive to school. I just figured it was bruised. I put the shoe back on for my walk down the hill at GCC, on my way to ballet class. OUCH! Not only did the top of my foot really hurt, I had a shuffle/drag to my step. L Now, a shuffle/drag could be a good thing, if you’re a tap dancer! But I was not trying to tap dance! I was on my way to a ballet class!
I did one good thing:  I took the day off from ballet class that day, and got to enjoy doing an observation/assessment/presentation instead.  I really wanted to dance, but I figured, if I took the day off, my foot would be fine the next day. Sadly, as I walked back up the hill, I was having second thoughts that one day off would be enough.
That night, my foot was still wonky. But I barely noticed it since I was sitting all night typing.
The next day, I headed off to Jazz class wearing my flip flops, and didn’t really notice anything till I started the 2 block walk to class. The foot was still a little tender, but what really bothered me was my shuffle-y gait-as if my left foot was flopping/dragging along.  Uh oh.
Sadly, I pretty much ignored it and figured it would feel better once it warmed up during class.  About ten minutes into class, I noticed that not only was it not working, there was some swelling.  I even walked up to the teacher and mentioned “I really clobbered my foot with a shovel the other day…” perhaps hoping for some “permission” to sit the rest of the class out so I wouldn’t feel like a “has-been,” lazy-ass old lady. My mention of the shovel incident was pretty much brushed off, and I felt as if I was overreacting to it too, so, like a complete asshole, I acted like an average person and ignored my body and finished class. By the time I took of my shoe, there was some really noticeable swelling.
I kept checking it out throughout the rest of the afternoon and evening, but I was still baffled. Though it was painful to touch and a bit difficult (actually, really difficult) to flex my foot, I was able to point my foot perfectly. And there still was no bruising! Bizarre! I decided to rest my foot for the remainder of the evening and take it easy the next day.
Well, yesterday was the “next day,” and I did take it easy. I only walked from my car into the bank, from my car to into Whole Foods, and then I headed off to the library. As I was getting ready to walk into the library, I knew something was really wrong...this funky pain, this floppy foot, and the creepy-crawl-y feeling when I tried to flex it had to be more than a bruise. I went right back to my car and called Kaiser. Got an 8:20 appointment...exam, xray, all the good stuff.
GOOD NEWS: I have amazing feet!!!  Super strong bones-excellent bone density with excellent alignment and no signs of arthritis or degeneration- the Dr. was surprised; she said: "for a dancer and a runner, I am surprised you have such strong and healthy feet!) 
BAD NEWS: Sadly, since I didn't listen to my body, and I down-played my pain, thinking it was just banged up, I've really done some damage to the tendon on the top of my foot and the surrounding tissue.
DIAGNOSIS:
Disciplined Indulgence Blog Chez Calasanz

"TRAUMATIC INJURY OF FOOT." "This patient is placed off work from 4/12/13-4/27/13 and "Avoid weight bearing for 2 weeks."
GOOD NEWS: It wasn’t dancing or running related.
NOTE TO SELF: "practice what I preach and listen to my body when it is in pain!"
Grrrr, I've been a bad girl and will now suffer the consequences.
The next two weeks are gonna be "interesting." :/
ON THE BRIGHT SIDE: I have 2 great books that I have to read for my Critical Perspectives 2 Class!
Wishing ya’ll a Happy, Healthy, and Ambulatory Day!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment