Sunday, October 17, 2010

19 Pomegranates...Now What?

Over a week ago, I was given 19 pomegranates
See them on the left of the picture? I dreaded the mess, but really wanted to get to those tasty seeds.
They sat and mocked me for ages as I had mentioned in my last post

 They were given to me from my dear friend Tina Heinz
on the day went to the Fullerton Arboretum
check out Tina next to the amazing cacti!

What to do? What to do?
Take out the seeds!

I read somewhere to submerge the pomegranate under water
It really did make a difference to avoid making my kitchen look like a crime scene

Check out all the seeds!
The measuring cup holds 4 cups and so does the bowl on the right.  The bowl on the left holds a bit more.

Any suggestions on what I should do with the Chayotes in the top left corner?

Andrew's favorite quinoa got a refreshing new spin
Fresh pomegranate seeds in quinoa
with black lentils, dried cherries, and cashews.
A perfect fall dish that can be enjoyed as a healthy meal, hearty snack, or side dish. It goes great with a roasted chicken or pork loin.

I had to make juice!
Who knew that the seeds wouldn't get mashed up in the food processor...ugg, lots of straining, and straining, and straining...these suckers are a pain in the a**!

Oh, so worth it!
Let me tell you, fresh pomegranate juice tastes nothing like that sour/bitter cr*p you get in the cute little bottle

This juice was refreshing, tangy, and absolutely delicious!

I got over 5 large wine glasses full of juice
after using plenty of seeds for meals and snacks

Can't wait to get more!
What are your favorite ways to enjoy pomegranates?



No comments:

Post a Comment